Day House

Built in 1859, the house was the home of Fred Holland Day, the only son of Lewis and Anna Smith Day. The Smith and Day families were both prominent in the tanning industry that flourished in 19th century South Dedham/Norwood. Fred Holland Day, a noted photographer, publisher, historian and philanthropist, lived in the house until the time of his death in 1933.

Originally built in the Second Empire style, the house was renovated by Fred Holland Day during the early 1890s. The interior is an assimilation of Victorian and Arts & Crafts influences. The house contains eight fireplaces, many uniquely designed rooms, second and third floor balconies overlooking a central Great Hall and beautiful oak and mahogany paneling and woodwork. Original paintwork, fabric wall coverings, carpets, period light fixtures and Day family possessions can be found throughout the house.

Today, the historic F. Holland Day House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and serves as the headquarters for the non-profit Norwood Historical Society. The house is open for Sunday tours April through July, and events throughout the year.

For more about Fred Holland Day, click here.

For a peek inside the Day House, click here.

 

 
Norwood Historical Society, The Day House, 93 Day Street, Norwood, MA 02062 | Tel: 781-762-9197 | info@norwoodhistoricalsociety.org